Total Pageviews

I began writing this blog as a way to record my progress renovating an old Dolls House Emporium Classical dolls house which I built from a kit in the 1980's. It has now evolved into a blog about my ever increasing collection of dolls houses and the items I buy and make to put in them.

Hope you enjoy it.
xxx

Sunday, 31 March 2013

Another New Dolls House

I know I shouldn't have done it but last night (just out of curiosity)  I did a search for dolls houses for sale on my local Gumtree website.  There is never normally anything of interest to me but this time the very first listing was for a part built Dolls House Emporium Montgomery Hall with basement for  the bargain price only £100.  There wasn't a contact number so I sent an email off straight away.  I didn't get a reply that night and had a bit of a sleepless night thinking about it.  As I was busy in the morning I didn't get a chance to check my emails until lunchtime but thankfully the house was still available.  I collected it this afternoon and it is now sitting in my store room which is soon to be my hobby room.  Here is the link to Montgomery Hall on the Dolls House Emporium website: http://www.dollshouse.com/dhe/product-dolls-house.aspx?house=montgom

Only the carcase was built and it has been wallpapered inside but I will probably redo it as I want to do it in Georgian period style.  Have to finish building Waterside Way, Magpies and Jenny Wren's first though.

I really, really must not look online for anymore dolls houses ;).
  

Thursday, 28 March 2013

Miniature Shabby Chic Bedroom

Had bought some pretty 'shabby chic style' items of bedroom furniture a while ago which I had set up in a room box, thought they would look nice in the upstairs of my Julie Bennett dolls house.  The bed, bedside table, chair, rug, wire shelving and accessories were all made by mollysueminiatures.

Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Julie Bennett Dolls House Revamp

Hi Everyone,  I have been ill for the past 2 weeks with a really bad cold so haven't been doing much of anything.  Have finally starting feeling a bit better but as it is still snowing up here in the frozen north (Aberdeen) I think it is best I don't go outside yet.  I had bought some more Annie Sloan chalk paint when I was on my paint effects course so decided to paint the windows and door of my Julie Bennett dolls house in French Linen.
Outside Before
Outside After
Inside Before
Inside After
 

Wednesday, 13 March 2013

My 1970's Toy Works Dolls House

Just found out that my first ever dolls house was made by a British company called Toy Works which had a factory in Bideford, North Devon.
Here is the advert in their 1973 catalogue stating that the new dolls house is now decorated in Tudor style which is the one I have.

My Portrait Brooches

Here is a photo of my portrait brooches (so far) all together.

Sunday, 10 March 2013

Another Portrait Brooch

My mum found this exquisite portrait brooch/pendant in a charity shop this week for only £3 and gave it to my son to give to me today for Mothers Day.


It is so beautiful and has what looks like actual diamond chips on the earing and pendant.  It also has a stamp on the back which looks like 18K although the 1 is a quite worn.  Think I will take this one to a jeweller to find out for sure.  I have seen similar 18K gold ones online selling for over £1000, wouldn't it be fantastic if this one turned out to be the real thing :D.
    

Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Annie Sloan Paint Effects Course

I went on an Annie Sloan paint effect course today at Rustiques in Aberdeenshire and this is what I did.
Here are some close ups of each item and how I got the effects.
This first one is a small tray which I painted in Antoinette pink.  While the paint was drying I cut out some images from wrapping paper which I liked.  They just happened to have a teacup design one which I couldn't resist ;).  Once the paint was dry I applied decoupage medium (which is just like PVA glue) to the backs of the images and then stuck them to the tray covering the whole surface with the glue.  I had to apply 3 coats of glue leaving it to dry between coats.  The next step was to apply the crackle varnish which comes in 2 parts, leaving to dry between coats.  Once that was dry I applied dark wax and rubbed it into the surface to bring out the crackle effect.
The tea sign was done using 2 different colours of Annie Sloan chalk paint with a layer of crackleglaze between, when the top coat of paint dries it leaves a cracked effect showing off the bottom colour.  I then stencilled on the word TEA to go with my theme.
The final item was done using Chateau grey paint then gilded using very thin sheets of Metal Gold Leaf (not real gold leaf).  I brushed on a thin layer of water based size and left it to go tacky then added the gold leaf using a brush gently to press it into the detail.

It was a great workshop which I would definately recommend and I also bought some new Annie Sloan paint colours for a future project I am planning.


        


Saturday, 2 March 2013